NICEIC Approved Contractor

NIC EIC Approved Contractor Heating Engineer


The National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC) is one of several government-approved organisations that regulate electrical businesses in the UK. The NICEIC is the largest, with more than 36,000 members spread across different areas of the industry.

When looking for an electrician to complete works in your home, finding an NICEIC-registered member is a great way to ensure your tradesperson is competent to the highest standard.

The NICEIC-approved contractor scheme covers electrical contractors across all aspects of the industry. Approved contractors have demonstrated their knowledge and understanding of both domestic, commercial and industrial electrical installations. Achieving the industry recognition of ‘approved contractor’.

NICEIC members must hold specific industry qualifications and complete annual assessments to retain their membership. Every member will be qualified to the latest version of the IET-wiring regulations, which is currently the 18th edition.

What is Part P?

Part P is an approved document within the Building Regulations. These regulations set out the framework to ensure that construction works are consistent and comply with the standard. Part P relates to the electrical works within a dwelling, and at its core tells us the following:

‘Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury’.

Electrical works within your home fall into one of two categories Notifiable or Non-Notifiable.

It’s important to remember that any electrical work in your home requires certification (see our blog posts on electrical certification) but notifiable works require a Part-P notification which can either be made by directly going to the local building control or through your registered electricians’ membership to their approved government-backed scheme.

The Part-P certificate you receive with your notifiable electrical works stays with the property not the person who ordered the works, the certificate demonstrates that the electrical works comply with Part P of the building regulations and the works were properly installed by a competent electrician. You will need this should you sell your property and want to demonstrate the electrical installation has been upgraded or changed.

If you would like to confirm your electrician’s membership to the NICEIC the following link will take you to their contractor database:

Mytradefinder encourages all its traders to become accredited with industry recognised associations, such as the NICEIC. This helps raise standards, improve customer service and promotes best practice.